So I had a sort of epiphany whilst eating toast and trying not to trip over the cat. Knowing that I am, Mr Lazy incarnate and any good intentions I have at the start of the year to read 100 books will likely be thwarted by issues of money and not wanting to get off my bum to go to the town centre and buy more books - I couldn't make such an excuse with fan fiction.
Fanfic is readily available all over the internet, which is where I'm living these days, it's free and it comes for just about every fandom you could think of from Archie comics to the Vampire Chronicles - (that's a little fandom joke, people.)
While some stories might struggle to hit 5k, I've read a good few 300k+ in my day and some of them, regardless of length have been a lot better than books I've spent hard earned money on. A lot of them have not. That's the beauty of fan fiction though.
So here are the rules, and I'm asking (read: begging) for recs, because whilst I could just sift my way through the first 200 fanfics I find, I'd much rather read ones which have come recommended.
1. No fanfics from authors who have banned fan fiction, list here.
2. The story must be complete, no exceptions.
3. I must not have already read it, to count it on the list. (If you recommend something I've read, I'll start making a little list at the bottom of the post.)
4. It must be a minimum of 1000 words, longer stories are better, but I don't want to discount a truly excellent story just because it might be only 3000 words long.
5. It must be in English.
Guidelines for recommendations
* I'm operating on an honour system that you don't recommend a fan fiction that you've written yourself, it's kind of tacky to do that.
* My main fandom is Harry Potter, but I have quite a wide range of interests so I will accept recommendations for pretty much any fandom I at least have a base knowledge of. If I don't have a clue about it, I will start compiling a little list at the bottom on this post, because it will do me no good to get 200 recs for the Digimon fandom, when I've never watched an episode in my life and don't plan to start now.
And that's it! No need to get too bogged down in rules, I think. Let the reading begin!